What is Safe Online Shopping?
E-commerce has overridden the community of today. Almost everybody depended on their every need in the online world. Sometimes not knowing what safe online shopping means.
When they need something, they just face their phones or laptops or PC to search for the thing they need and look for a possible online store where they could get that.
Online shopping is a convenient way to save your time and effort, even money. A way where you can still attend to your chores and shop for your needs all at the same time.
It is really convenient to have it all at your doorsteps.Though it is very convenient, there are things you need to know and consider to protect yourself from all the bad guys who are watching on the side waiting for a chance to attack you “financially”.
There are always people who are desperate in destroying other people’s lives. And there are people who are unfortunate enough to be the victim. And you can be one of them.
But there can always be a way to avoid being attacked by this people. Below are some helpful tips to shop safely and confidently.
- Use familiar websites – It’s safer to directly inquire on familiar or popular websites than to search a keyword on search engines. Results sometimes mixed up and there’s a possibility that you can inquire on a wrong store or the web.
It is always good to stick with trusted brands to avoid scams. It is always best if you already have an online store in mind before shopping than searching without a single idea about any website stores.
- Look for the lock – This is a common caution to anyone browsing the net. May it be shopping or any business transactions or just a research on something.Applying this on shopping is very much required to protect yourself from all the opportunist out there lurking on the side waiting for someone who’ll get a mistake.
Always remember that “https” is the safe one rather than just “Http”, small ‘s’ tells you that your search and transactions are encrypted by a third party for your security.
- Don’t tell everything – Be cautious about personal details they want you to provide. Most commonly, details asked to name, shipping address, contact number, email add., and mode of payment.They don’t need your bank account number, your social security number, or your birthday. Web sites asking for this are not genuine.
Always bear in mind that the lesser they know, the safer you are. Providing them unnecessary things could get you a lot of damage to you.
- Check statements regularly – Using credit cards is advisable when shopping online. Thing is, you have to check your statements regularly or as often as possible to monitor your deductions.
And in case you find something suspicious, comply with it immediately to fix it on time. You will be held reliable if you neglect it until the allotted time.
- Use unique passwords – Use passwords that are easy for you to remember but difficult for them to predict.
Avoid using birthdays or anniversaries they might get from people around you or any dates that could be used to hack your accounts. Or even family names that are easily be known.
- Prefer your mobile than computers – Mobile is more favorable to use because you can use your data privately.
When using PC for your transactions, make sure to keep your connection private to avoid invaders from the outside to access your network, they can hack your data from there.
- Do not use public terminals – Using personal devices to purchase anything from online is safer than going to any internet cafes and use public computers. You are giving over-the-shoulder-peekers a chance to take a look at all the goods.
When using a public device in a public place, thinking like a paranoid soldier is not bad: sit at the back and keep facing the door. There are times that paranoia keeps us safe.
- Know the thing called “too good to be true” – Analyze everything you’ve found from the web. Like prices, that can’t be too low. You should know the right pricing from the market. They cannot just offer too much at a very low price.
That is something you need to think before giving in. There are merchants that offer coupons, discounts, or promotions. You can’t be too dumb to believe things called “too good to be true”.Instead of clicking on the coupon, try scrolling down and look at their list of clients. You can verify things from them thru their feedbacks on the company service.
- Always check the shipping terms – Understand all the terms in this area. There are merchants sometimes who charge too much for the product shipping.
Make sure you are paying the right amount. Know their courier and you can check for yourself. Be sure you won’t wait for ten days to receive your purchase.
Always remember these things when you think of buying things online. You cannot be too late to realize your mistake after the damage had been done. Better avoid it than solving the consequence.